Healthy snacks that are easy for kids to make...
We have searched the globe high and low! Well OK, we've searched the internet and our own recipe books to be precise and put together a small selection of healthy snacks that are both quick and easy to make but above all, (mostly!) healthy. So go on, treat yourself and the family to a lunch box full of healthy snacks.There's no doubt about it, kids are going to love getting involved in making their own healthy snacks. Who knows, maybe they will even add a few secret ingredients of their own? One of my youngsters makes the most delicious pasta sauce by adding honey
150g ready-to-eat stoned dates
100g full-fat spread
3 tbsp honey or maple syrup (you may find the fruit is sweet enough if you wish to reduce the sugar)
50g ready-to-eat stoned dried apricots, finely chopped
50g chopped hazelnuts
3 tbsp mixed seeds
150g porridge oats
How to make your flapjacks in 4 easy steps
2. Line a baking tray with baking parchment. If you only have greaseproof paper, then that's fine. Just if you use baking parchment, you will find the flapjacks won't stick as much.
3. Chop the dates finely and put the full-fat spread and honey into a saucepan and heat gently. Stir until the full-fat spread has melted and the dates are blended in. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Once mixed together, spoon the mixture into the baking tray and spread level.
4. Bake the flapjacks in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the mixture to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cutting into slices. Leave the slices in the tin until they are quite cold before removing them and storing in an airtight container.
These cheese straws are delicious, light, fun and super easy to make with the kids.
200g self-raising flour
1 pinch cayenne pepper
125g diced unsalted butter
125g Grated English cheddar
1 teaspoon English mustard (optional)
Sesame seeds and poppy seeds to sprinkle (optional)
How to make your cheese straws in 4 easy steps.
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 C. Grease a baking tray.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt
Stir in the cheese and add the egg to make a stiff dough.
3. Roll out thinly and cut into strips. Put on the baking tray.
Bake for 10-15 min until golden brown.
Easy hummusThis hummus recipe will make a great filling for lunchbox sandwiches or as a dip served with breadsticks, pitta bread or carrot sticks.
400g of tinned chickpeas
1 small clove of garlic
1 tablespoon tahini paste (This is a condiment made from toasted ground sesame seeds.)
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
How to make your hummus
1. Drain the chickpeas and tip them into a food processor.
2. Peel the clove of garlic and add the tahini paste, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with a pinch of salt. Put the lid on the processor and blitz until you have a smooth mixture.
3. Have a taste and add more lemon juice or a splash of water, if needed.
Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl. Enjoy!